Wednesday, October 24, 2007

More On Peterson Taking Over the Twin Cities

I want to dive back into my thoughts on Adrian Peterson from yesterday because I think I lost my broader point by revisiting my Brady Bunch analogy for the Vikings and the other teams in this state. I think I got into my hopes for Adrian Peterson a little bit, but I also don't think I did a good enough job of trying to convey what I think he can be relative to the Twin Cities' sports scene to justify yesterday's post; a post that basically said the exact same thing that two local papers, several national writers and, what I imagine is hundreds of bloggers, had already written and talked about regarding Peterson's potential.

In order to extrapolate on what I can only categorize as hope (I think expectation is the wrong word) for All Day's future here, I have to provide what I know. First, the Vikings are the alpha dog in this state over the other two major national sports teams and the hockey team. Second, until last season, I had never watched an NFL game in a stadium other than the HHH Metrodome. Third, despite being the most popular team in the state over the years, the two most beloved athletes in this state in my sports watching lifetime (1986) from an objective viewpoint, Kirby Puckett and Kevin Garnett, were not on the Vikings. Fourth, the best, and probably only, argument for most popular Viking in my sports watching lifetime is Randy Moss, although popularity and adoration are seperate in Moss' case whereas Kirby and KG enjoyed adoration with their popularity. On a national level, Kirby, Moss and Garnett definitely brought attention to this state's teams due to their abilities, successes and personalities.

If an unbiased Vikings observer approached a Vikings fan during the Moss era to praise him for a good game, I would assume that there was, at the very least, a 1 in 2 chance that the Vikings fan would say something to the effect of, "Yeah, he's really good, but [fill in fan's gripe(s) about Moss' quotes/attitudes/troubles/etc.]" Moss was loved by some Vikings fans but loathed to the point of shame by others. Due to his coverage here, I had no idea what I was in store for last November when I attended the Vikings-Dolphins game in Miami.

If you ever have the chance to see a game in Miami, especially when it's freezing cold in Minnesota, go. I know they have an older stadium, but I enjoyed my Dolphin Stadium experience so much that I told myself I would never watch sports inside of the Metrodome ever again. I broke that promise for one Twins game this season when a friend of mine who flies copters for the Army had a two week leave from Korea and wanted to go to a Twins game, so I think that's a valid reason. Anyways, if you go to Dolphin Stadium, you will notice the word "Taylor" and the number "99" on a lot of apparel. Jason Taylor's jersey is everywhere in orange, green and white. You may see the occasional Ronnie Brown jersey or faded Marino jersey, but I'm telling you from seeing it, that city loves Jason Taylor. If Jason Taylor had Shawn Kemp's mentality (or ability?), I think every child birth in Miami-Dade County would have to be accompanied by a mandatory Jason Taylor paternity test. However, I don't remember ever noticing anything negative about Jason Taylor from a national standpoint. The Dolphins were not good last year, but Jason Taylor still played like a stud and the nearly packed house for the 4-5 Vikings (can you believe they started 4-2 last yea?) and the 3-6 Dolphins went ballistic for him. He backed it up with a sack, two forced fumbles (one returned for a TD) and an interception returned for a TD. Basically, Jason Taylor puts up results, seems like a good guy AND (this is key) is very marketable.

I can tell you from one night in South Beach and one Dolphins game that Jason Taylor enjoys the same popularity with adoration as Kirby and KG had here. I really think that Adrian Peterson has the chance for that, and more, here. Like I said yesterday, I think he has the tools to put up the numbers necessary for that level of popularity. Next, Adrian Peterson plays a position that gets more attention and notoriety than Jason Taylor's position (that's also a compliment to what Taylor has been able to do, as much as it is a complement to my argument). He's going to be the subject of fantasy drafts, video games and media highlights for years to come. Finally, in the short time he has been in the NFL spotlight, and combined with the college spotlight, he knows how to carry himself, he seems like a good guy, AND he definitely seems marketable enough to be a household name.

If you put this all together and combine it with results and longevity (which Peterson will have to provide), I think the sky is the limit for his popularity in this state. If his numbers become all-time franchise rushing numbers or if (big if) the Vikings ever hoist the Lombardi Trophy with Peterson, I could foresee Peterson easily joining the discussion of most popular and favorite athletes of all time in this city...

But let's win some games first.

WOLVES STUFF:

- I posted a new Wolves article today over that the TWolves Blog.

- We traded Mark Blount and I couldn't be happier. You can get all the links, etc. on TWolves Blog.

4 comments:

Bring-back-JRRider said...

I agree - to an extent - the only problem is the shelf life on even a good running back is 4-6 years -- Puckett had 10 or 11 years at 165 games per season, KG had 12 years...Adrian Peterson will need to lead the Vikes to a championship to accomplish the same standard -- consider that MN never obsessed over Chuck Foreman...

The Old Logo said...

The NFL is at least twice as popular as either sport and I know for a fact that neither of us was alive to be able to attest to how this town felt about Chuck FOreman when he was an active running back.

Look at Terrell Davis in Denver. I work with a guy born and raised in Colorado and he was the absolute cat's meow. Look at Reggie Bush last year in New Orleans. Shelf life may not be as long, but the popularity is twice as strong for a football player.

Bring-back-JRRider said...

I don't disagree for impact in short stints - remember Herschel-mania, but I don't know that a NFL running back can be embraced longterm like KG and Kirby. These guys were the face for MN sports for a decade each...

The Old Logo said...

Again, I think you have to consider that you're completely talkig about your personal experience. Moss was bigger then KG, not as loved, when he was here and he was only here for 7 years. If there was news about KG or Moss, Moss got priority. If Moss and KG had monster games, Moss got priority. That's because the NFL trumps the NBA and MLB on levels that aren't even on the same grid.

Hershel mania also doesn't even come close and is a weak analogy because you're using him as a "same position" player, and, when he got here he had already logged . He didn't start here like Kirby and KG. Also, he had logged 3 seasons in the USFL and 4 with the cowboys. He was 27 and already had been tackled a bazillion times because he was on those crappy Cowboys teams and he's noted for being a cancer to the franchise for reasons that aren't even due to him. I would almost argue that since him and Kirby have been done, I've heard more references to Hershel Walker than I have to Kirby Puckett and I can guaranty in 10 years, you'll still be hearing more about the Hershel Walker trade than you will about KG.

Adrian Peterson is starting here young, already has the buzz of being the next big thing and, if he does put up the numbers (a contingency I mentioned at least three times in my post) then I guaranty he'll be bigger than Kirby and KG even if he plays 6 years.

Additionally, if you asked Minnesota Twins fans who their favorite Twin was during Kirby's era, I think you'll here at least 1 in 3 say Kent Hrbek. He wasn't as good, but this is a homer state and they loved him.