Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Time to Turn Away From McHale

Over the years, I have heard several TWolves/KG fans state that their loyalties will lie with KG, which is fine. I happen to be a fan of a team first and indvidual players second, but the NBA markets individuals over teams, so I think this is fairly common. In addition, if you're going to like a player more than a team, I can't think of another player that deserves it more than Kevin Garnett. Now, with KG gone, several fans don't care for this team while others are excited by new players.

<-- We know McHale's track record and most fan's opinion of him. However, Witt, now that you've been dealt a hand, what do you do?

Whatever the stance above, and both are arguable, all Timberwolves fans agree on this: Kevin McHale, for the most part, has not done a good job with acquisitions, trades (especially the Cassell trade), and contracts.

Now it's time to look past that; we have to get over it. McHale is what he is and we have the players we have. We know he's there, he wasn't fired, there's no real signs that he's leaving soon, and this team had, and has, the duty to make the best of the hand it's dealt every single season...and I don't think they've done that.

Two years ago, in Dwayne Casey's inaugural season as a head coach, I couldn't get past complaining about his rotations before even coming to a conclusion about scheming. It was on McHale that Casey had Jaric, Hudson, Banks (acquired in season in another awful trade) and Anthony Carter (see below) and also boasted Olowakandi for at least a portion of the season. However, it was on Casey the way he used those players.

My main gripes with Casey were as follows:


1) Anthony Carter not only played, but started several games. I could not get over this. Anthony Carter, at least in that season, couldn't have broken a 9 man rotation on any other team in the league and we were starting the guy.

2) I think Casey set McCants back. People who know me know I'm no McCants apologist and, unless he shows some of the UNC explosiveness or a suddenly reliable jumper, I have been saying he's destined for European leagues, but I don't think Casey helped develop him. Pavlov would be proud: early in the season when McCants would make a mistake, Case would pull him. Later in the season, everytime McCants made a mistake, he would look to the sidelines to see if his replacement was ripping off the warmups. In a matter of 8 months, Casey took McCant's confidence from face player of a National Championhip team to worrying if he could play more than 5 minutes a game on a 33 win team. As far as I'm concerned, Seattle fans should be thankful that Casey didn't get to come in there and coach Durant and Green.

3) Actual lineups used at extended periods of the games: PG - Anthony Carter; SG - McCants; SF - Hassell; PF - KG; Center - Blount. One rebounder, two reliable jump shooters (too bad Blount was one of them), no dribble penetration, two defenders (one severely overrated). YOU CANNOT SCORE WITH THIS LINEUP.

4) Absolutely doghousing Eddie Griffen when we needed rebounders (and offering no explanations).

5) Marko Jaric. He's still being misused. In a proper scheme, this guy can contribute. He has quick hands, gets into passing lanes, has the ability to make a defensive rebound and lead a fast break, and has a somewhat reliable mid-ranger. The problem: our coaches have used him like a starter because he's paid as such. On a run-and-gun team, Marko would contribute, especially if a gift certificate to the Notte is involved.

It's going to remain to be seen what Witt can do with what he has, but he has young, energetic players that have some promise. He went 62-102 with Cleveland and did not fair too well last year. In my first year as a season ticket holder and post Casey, I actually saw Witt employ the following lineup when Blount needed a rest - PG - James, SG - Foye, SF - Hassell, PF - KG and C - Madsen. One reliable shooter, two PGs that don't know how to pass (at least Foye couldn't last year) and one completely inept offensive player. Again, you cannot score with that lineup.

Now, Witt has some fresh faces and I hope he has a scheme and figures out a rotation sooner rather than later (or perhaps, never). I'm going to give him a fair shot now that he is the guy, but his historical record (with some historically awful Cavs teams) is not great. I realize he hasn't been dealt pocket rockets off the blinds, but I personally don't think he has a 2-7 unsuited either. Last year, he was running a basic version of a pick and roll with point guards that couldn't run a pick and roll offense. This is frustrating to watch from the rafters (I moved down to the lower section this season). In evaluating Witt throughout the season, I'm going to be paying attention mainly to the schemes, halftime adjustments when they're necessary, and the effort level of the players since I know this team won't be hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy this season. Anyway, more on the Wolves new identity and the type of schemes that might fit with this team in the coming weeks.

Round up of stories that caught my eye today:

- The Fort Worth Star-Telegraph (about half-way down) reports that Greg Buckner was disappointed with the trade to Minnesota. However, when told by his agent that he could take up to a week to joing the team (and considering that the team left for Turkey the next day) he immediately flew to Minnesota and joined his teammates.

Reaction: It's not surprising for a player to be disappointed when being traded from a championship contender to a team clearly rebuilding. However, Buckner's actions following the trade show professionalism and the coaching staff seems to be convinced by his practice effort (per the Strib link below).

- According to the Star Tribune, Wittman is already spreading his coaching genius to the new stud by instructing Al Jefferson to "be more of a presence and do the things that he does." If he starts talking about playing the way Al plays when he plays and throwing in a reference about Calcutta Clippers, I think we're in for some sweet sound bites this season. JUST CROWN THEY ASS!

As far as other news outlets reporting on this team, the TWolves Blog does a good job pieceing together all the news from various media entities. This makes it a lot easier than my previous system of going to Rumor Central to the Star Trib to the Press, etc., etc. Anything that adds to my laziness is a plus. I'm also going to link some other blogs and sites in the links section that I have had the privilege to encounter in the past couple of days. It's good to see there are people talking about this team other than Benny Gunzz, The Hunter and I over a bunch of emails.

Tomorrow - probably something I saw in Foye this summer that has me optimistic about him running this team, but I have a couple of other things I'm working on as well. Friday I will have brief reactions to Wolves news, if any, my NFL picks, and what I would say to Dwight Smith if I scored a receiving touchdown on him.

2 comments:

Bring-back-JRRider said...

Something to grind on -- Is it just me or do you see some Elton Brand in Al Jefferson? I was watching some clips of Jefferson and I find some similarities between there games. I could live happily with an "Elton Brand" (especially that being the AllStar caliber Elton Brand) on this roster.

I also saw that about Buckner. I understand where he is coming from and am actually encouraged by the actions of Buckner and Howard. Both are clearly in the twighlight of their careers - I don't believe either one has a ring, and they just woke up on a team with a similar make-up to an expansion team (Ok-better younger talent). I still say Rickys got to go. I like his game - wouldn't mind watching him play another year but got a bad feeling that his attitude is going to be like Chief-Wiggum's-special-chili-FLATULENCE in the locker room - that ought to mix well with the "nicely disgruntled" attitudes of Howard and Buckner.

Anonymous said...

I haven't actually seen Jefferson in action all that much other than the Wolves home games last season.

I don't think he has the floor running capability of Elton Brand and he self0admittedly doesn't have the Brand's face to the basket game or mid-range jumper. I think it's going to depend on his development on how far that goes, but that's why Brand was the first pick in his draft and Al Jeff was the 15th. However, he has excellent post skills and bodies people up down low. Every comparison I've seen is a Zach Randolph sans craziness, which is just fine.

One thing I love about Al Jefferson is that he admitted he didn't work hard enough his first off season and has turned that work ethic around.

I'm not surprised by Howard's professionalism, he's never been a cancer. Overpaid, yes, locker room cancer, no.